Cycle Farm is a 3 acre farm in Spearfish Valley. 2012 was our first year farming full-time. We grow diverse fruit and vegetable crops for the Spearfish Farmer’s Market and a CSA (see our CSA page for more information).
The land is rich, deep clay loam, irrigated with water from Spearfish Creek. The farm was previously a hop field with 700 vines, 16 varieties. The land also hosts a robust established vineyard of South Dakota bred Valiant grapes and a newly planted orchard with heritage varieties of apple, plum, apricot, tart cherries, and peaches.
A bit about our philosophy and practices. At Cycle Farm, we…
- produce food that is diverse, chemical-free and naturally grown.
- grow for flavor and nutrition, rather than ease of shipping and shelf-life.
- preferentially grow open-pollinated and regional varieties.
- use no-till, full-circle, sustainable farming practices to both build soil and grow food.
- seek methods that limit off-farm inputs, enhance land health, and encourage ecological diversity.
- work to build community resilience in Spearfish Valley by growing food for our neighbors.
- foster community engagement and education regarding our local food system.
- aim to connect with and promote this region’s agricultural, land-based roots.